Surrounded by iron railings with a gate entrance, the monument is a medieval style cross mounted on an eighteenth-century base.
In 1765, the Lord of the Manor, Charles Boothby Skrymisher had the monument restored, replacing the earlier fifteenth-century oak cross and base in the process. The field is frequently used for reinactments of the Battle, and this helps to keep the cross and surroundings reasonably well-maintained. Nevertheless, Loggerheads Parish Council is spearheading a campaign to replace the iron railings and clean the stonework.
Lord Audley of Heighley Castle led the Lancastrian forces at the Battle of Blore Heath on 23rd September 1459.This was the second battle of the War of the Roses, a war between the York and Lancaster branches of the Plantagenet family for the English throne. Lord Audley was killed during the battle, the cross marking where he fell.
Inscription on the pedestal: On this spot was fought the battle of Blore Heath in 1459- Lord Audley who commanded for the side of Lancaster, was defeated and slain.
This monument was restored by Tyrkey Parish Council to mark the 500th anniversary of the battle.
To perpetuate the memory of the action and the place, this ancient monument was repaired in 1765, at the charge of the Lord of the Manor, Charles Boothby Skrymisher.
PMSA recording information