Type Coat of Arms , Panel , Sculpture
The bearded figure symbolising the banks function was sculpted in the round and is placed in an elaborate niche beneath a domed canopy, directly above the main door to the bank. He carries a pot in his left hand and a wallet hangs from his belt. In the lunette above the door is a high relief carving of a classically draped female figure holding a shield of the Birmingham coat of arms. To her left is a seated man with a hammer and anvil, and to her right is a glassblower, whilst an urban scene is shown in low relief in the background.
The architects of the original building on this site are unknown, though it is thought that it dates form 1892 as the London and City Bank. The doorway is all that remains of the original building, which has undergone considerable changes to the façade.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.