Type Sculpture , Marker
This three-dimensional sculpture of a bear acts as a sign for a public house. The bear stands on all-fours looking down on the viewer from a beam which protrudes from the building's façade.
The present inn was built on the site of the eighteenth-century Bear in 1882, and was acquired by its present owners in 1935 when Eley's Brewery was closed down. The original bear, which had been used on the Bear inn as a pub sign for more than two hundred years, rotted and finally lost its head, which toppled off and smashed onto the pavement in the summer of 1970. For safety reasons, the rest of it was then removed. A replica of the original was carved by a local man, Kenneth Thompson, and installed in the same position in September 1972.
The earliest reference to an inn on this site is in 1793, when it was known as The Black Bear. It was also called The White Bear during the nineteenth century before finally becoming the Bear in 1882. The iconography of the bear relates to the Staffordshire family of Beresford who lived in the immediate vicinity during the seventeenth century and whose coat of arms was a black bear rampant.
PMSA recording information