Anchor Commemorating the Battle of Cape St Vincent (14 February 1797)
This traditional anchor with crown, flukes, shank, stock and anchor chain, is mounted on a raised flower bed.
The use of the anchor in his location is an indirect reflection of a decision by the Town Council to rename part of the town centre road system St Vincent Square, commemorating the bi-centenary of the British naval victory against the Spanish in 1797 at Cape St Vincent, which involved a native of Stone, Admiral Sir John Jervis (later Earl St Vincent).
In 1997, following the decision of Stone Town Council to commemorate the bi-centenary of Earl St Vincent's victory by creating St Vincent Square, the Stone in Bloom committee undertook to include an anchor to represent the nautical connection of their famous citizen as part of their planting of the square for the bi-annual event. Unfortunately, no ready made anchor was available and, with ceremonies to inaugurate the new public square imminent, the design for an anchor was quickly drawn up by Brian Artis and its fabrication, mainly from scrap materials, was carried out in the yard of his compnay, The Stone Boat Building Company Limited, who donated it to the town.
The anchor commemorates the bi-centenary of the Battle of Cape St Vincent (14 February 1797) between the British Royal Navy and the Spanish Navy. The British fleet was led by a native of Stone, Admiral Sir John Jervis (later made Earl St Vincent) (1735-1823) in the 'HMS Victory'. The British battle fleet of 15 ships defeated the Spanish fleet of 27 off the south-west coast of Portugal. During the battle the actions of the then, Commodore Horatio Nelson (1758-1805) helped bring about the British victory; when he successfully fought seven other ships including the 'Santissima Trinidad', the largest ship in the world.
PMSA recording information