Type Marker , Readymade
The standing stone is clearly visible but the rest of the cairn has virtually disappeared. The whole cairn is enclosed by a circular rusting iron fence. The cairn is said to be placed on the site of Bentley Hall.
There has been press speculation about the site being haunted, and in the 1960s there was even television coverage. The ghost, named Charlie, was described by the press as a laughing cavalier with shades of Valentino, and he was subsequently exorcised by the local vicar.
Bentley Hall's principle claim to fame is its having been the hiding place of King Charles II (1630-1685) after his defeat after the Battle of Worcester (1651). After fleeing the field of the battle the King went to the house of Richard Penderel at Boscobel, South Staffordshire, then on to Moseley Old Hall, near Wolverhampton, finally arriving at Bentley Hall.
The Hall was the home of the Lane family, who had been prominent local landowners in the Middle Ages. At Bentley Hall they devised a plan to secure the King's escape by dressing him up as Jane Lane's servant. The story tells that they travelled to Bristol, from where the King fled abroad to France.
The Hall also featured briefly in the eighteenth century when the Methodist reformer John Wesley (1703-1791) was establishing the Mother Society for Methodism in Staffordshire. In June 1843 a riotous mob had taken Wesley to be arraigned in front of Mr Lane, the local magistrate, living at the Hall. Lane, however, advised the mob to go home and refused to detain Wesley.
The Hall was demolished at an unknown date, but a second hall built on the site was demolished in 1906. After which a third Hall was built and subsequently demolished in the 1930s.
Information plaque missing
Related works : A fresco of King Charles II escape from the Parliamentary troops decorates the lobby of the House of Commons, in 1921 the Mayor of Walsall, Cllr. Joseph a. Leckie presented a replica fresco to the town which can be seen at Walsall Town Hall.
PMSA recording information