National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Allegorical Figures and Cartouche

Summary

Type Sculpture

     This sculpture depicts two muscular, bare-chested male figures with drapery around their loins. One holds a sledgehammer, representing Industry; the other holds a scroll representing Knowledge or Learning. The figures rest their hands upon a cartouche bearing the date '1933'.
         

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Lowbridge, Col G.C. Architect
Messrs Fleming and Sons, None Builder

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Sculpture Sandstone 1.8m high x 1.2m wide

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
WMwvWVxx024 BM
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Biological growth
Structural condition
  • None
Vandalism
  • None
Road Wulfrana Street
Precise location Wolverhampton University fa├žade, MA Block
A-Z ref 29 1H
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design 1931-33
Year of unveiling 1933
Unveiling details Officially opened on 30 June 1933
Commissioned by funded jointly by Wolverhampton County Borough and Staffordshire County Council
Duty of care Wolverhampton University
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results