National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Block of Felsite

Summary

Type Readymade

     A tall roughly cubiod shaped stone with small oval plaque.
     This natural rock was brought to the park from the brick pits behind Oak Street when it was first opened in 1881.
    

Inscriptions

On plaque: BLOCK OF FELSITE/ CARRIED DURING THE GLACIAL EPOCH/ FROM/ ARENIG, MERINETHSHIRE,/ FOUND IN/ OAK ST. WOLVERHAMPTON/ IN 1881

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Rock Felsite 280cm high approx

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
WMwvWVxx039 BM
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Biological growth
Structural condition
  • None
Vandalism
  • Surface damage
Road Park Road East
Precise location In West Park
A-Z ref 29 1G
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1881
Unveiling details 1881
Commissioned by None
Duty of care Wolverhampton City Council
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results