High Cross (aka Butter Cross)
Type Cross , Coat of Arms
Modern stone cross on the site of earlier crosses. Two octagonal steps supporting a triangular shaft. From this rises an octagonal drum supported from the shaft by brackets and surmounted by the Latin style cross. Inscription on north-east face shaft; roundels with pigmented arms of Shrewsbury
A cross was erected on the site in 1903 as part of the 500-year Battle of Shrewsbury celebrations and was taken down in 1905, then replaced in 1952.
This cross commemorates the traditional site where Sir Henry Percy (Hotspur) was exhibited after the Battle of Shrewsbury, crushed beneath a millstone, before being dismembered and fragments of him exhibited through out the Kingdom.
Roman capitals, pigmented, on north east face of shaft. MUNICIPIO.DILECTO/ REGIA. SCHOLA/ SALOPIENSIS/ SEDE.NON.FIDE/ MUTATA/ D.D./MCMIII
PMSA recording information