Type Panel , Statue
A number of balconies / bays to windows on the first floor, three on Coventry Street façade, three on the Market Place façade and one over the entrance. These bays are heavily ornamented with foliage scrolls, blank shield, and S-shaped curves. Each bay is supported by a cherubic caryatid.
The history of this bracnh can be traced back to 27 July 1863 when the Midland Banking Company opened a branch in premises leased from Iliffe. In 1881 the Midland Banking Company was taken over by the Birmingham, Dudley and District Banking Company, which under its new name of the United Counties Bank was taken over by Barclay's in 1916.
In March 1895 the Directors of the Birmingham, Dudley and District Banking Company purchased the site adjoining their leased premises and approved plans for rebuilding the branch. An originalplan marked 'May 1894 Wood and Kendrick architects, West Bromwich' survives in the Barclay's Group Archives.(1)
Above entrance: 'AD / 1896'
PMSA recording information