Bear and Ragged Staff
Type Coat of Arms
A sculpture of the Bear and Staff from the Warwickshire Coat of Arms. The white bear stands on a blue and white striped ground and has a golden chain and muzzle. Above the window is a sculpture of a crown, also part of the County Coat of Arms.
A second, transposed, version of the work is just visible through the arch on the back wall of the courtyard.
The earliest of the timber buildings date from the foundation of the Guild of St George in Warwick in 1383. In 1545 the guild members avioded the closure of their guild as the monasteries had been by creating a town corporation and gifting their buildlings as the Burgesses Hall.(2) In 1571, Robert Dudley, earl of Leicester received the buildings from the burgess and set it up as a hospital for old soldiers.(1)
PMSA recording information