Firemen and a Manual Pump
Two figures, wearing helmets and fireman's uniforms, are either side of a cart. They wear green coats, with blue trousers, black boots and helmets and are holding some sort of hose. A painted model of a late eighteenth-century manual fire pump with helmeted firemen. It was the trademark of the Birmingham Fire Office, a fire insurance company. An authentic pump of a very similar type made by Stock & Taylor of Birmingham c.1770 is on display at the Warwickshire Fire Brigade Headquarters in Warwick Street.(1)
Birmingham Fire Office mark which stands above the main door at Euston Place was originally over the porch at 166 Parade, the previous home of the Locke and England estate agents firm who moved to these offices in Euston Place in 1965. At one time Locke and England appealed in the local paper for information about the mark. All that is known is that the firm inherited it from the earlier occupiers of the building. The firm had moved to the premises in 1875, 166 Parade then bearing the address 33 Lower Parade.
PMSA recording information