Comedy and Tragedy
On the left of the upper façade the face of Comedy wears a jesters cap, on the right, the face of Tragedy has unruly hair resembling downturned horns. The words 'COMEDY' and TRAGEDY' are inscribed under the appropriate roundels.
The Regent Theatre was previously a cinema opened by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres on 11 February 1929. In 1930 the Provincial was taken over by the Gaumont British Picture Corporation, although it was not renamed the Gaumont until 1950. In 1976 the Gaumont was renamed the Odeon Film Centre after the Odeon in Trinity Street closed down in 1975. In 1987 the building was refurbished and reopened, closing in 1989. In recent years a Mr Richard Talbot has been caring for the theatre ensuring its security and doing minor repairs at his own expense. The Regent Theatre was listed in 1990, and has recently re-opened as part of Hanley's new 'Cultural Quarter'. (1)
PMSA recording information