Abbey Bell Tower
Type Clock Tower , Building
Free standing tower with functional clock and bells, acts as a gateway to both Abbey Park and the Cemetery of All Saints Church. Gothic detailing, though no figurative sculpture, eight buttresses, three storeys, finials with crocketting surmounted by flags and wrought iron terminals at top.
The bell tower formed part of Evesham Abbey, most of which was destroyed in 1540 after the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. The bell tower and an archway are the only significant remaining architecture from the Abbey.
Plaque inside archway: THIS TOWER WAS BUILT BETWEEN THE YEARS/ 1529 AND 1539, BY THE DIRECTION OF/ CLEMENT LICHFIELD/ LAST ABBOT OF EVESHAM. IT WAS RESTORED/ IN 1951 BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION./ THE BELLS, CONSISTING OF A PEAL OF TEN,/ WERE RE-CAST AND INCREASED TO TWELVE,/ A NEW CLOCK WAS INSTALLED, THE CARILLON REPAIRED./ F.J. MASTERS J.P.; CHAIRMAN/ R.G. BURLINGHAM: VICE- CHAIRMAN/ S. STOKER: HON. SECRETARY/ T.C. SHEAF: HON. TREASURER/ REV. CANON T. CHARLES JONES B.A.: VICAR
On plaque on wall bell tower: THIS TOWER WAS BUILT TO HOLD THE CLOCK/ AND BELLS OF THE ABBEY AND AS A GATEHOUSE/ TO CONVENTUAL CEMETERY ABOUT 1530.
On plaque on wall bell tower: THE FLOODLIGHTING FOR THIS TOWER/ WAS GIVEN IN MEMORY OF/ LEONARD HANSON 1911-1977/ BY HIS WIFE PAT.
PMSA recording information