National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Bamford Chain Pump

Summary

Type Readymade , Fountain

     The water pump consists of a circular head with wheel attached, with a stone trough below the water pipe. The pump and trough have been mounted on a plinth of brick that is now disintegrating.
          The pump was made by Bamfords', now the family owned international company Bamfords was founded in Uttoxeter in 1845 by Henry Bamford, who established an ironmongers in the Market Place. However, it remained a small concern until the last quarter of the nineteenth century, when, under Samuel Bamford, eldest son of Henry, it grew considerably from employing only 6 men in 1871 to employing around 500 in 1897. The company focused upon the production of agricultural implements, taps and water pumps. Another brother, Joseph, was a talented engineer who patented an improved cash register and a cultivator.(1) The pump appears to be model No. 2A, which was listed in a 1930s catalogue as having been in use for 'over half a century'.

Inscriptions

On west side of pump: BAMFORDS'/ PATENT/ CHAIN PUMP/ REGISTERED DESIGN On east side of pump: BAMFORDS'/ PATENT/ CHAIN PUMP/ UTTOXETER

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Bamfords, None Designer

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Pump Steel/ iron, painted white and black 120cm high
Trough Sandstone None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
STesUTxx009 BM
General condition Poor
Surface condition
  • Biological growth
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
Structural condition
  • Broken, missing parts
  • Water collection
Vandalism
  • None
Road Trinity Walk
Precise location Beside roadway
A-Z ref 126 B4
OS ref SK093333
Date of design None
Year of unveiling None
Unveiling details Between mid 1870s and 1940
Commissioned by Bamfords
Duty of care None
Listing status Not listed
At risk? At Risk

‹‹ Back to search results