This war memorial, built in the classical style, has Ionic pilasters flanking the statue of St George and the Dragon in the central niche. The pilasters are topped with an entablature, cornice and a triangular pediment decorated with a shell. To either side of this central section of the monument are side panels with swept parapets carved with wreaths topped with crowns. St George holds the cross in his right hand and supports a shield emblazoned with the cross in his left. He stands on top of the dragon that he has slain. To either side of the statue are lions' heads surmounting three inverted bouquets of flowers suspended from panels inscribed with the six years of the Great War from 1914 to 1919. The slate panels bearing the inscription and the names of the fallen are on the plinth below the figure of St George.
The entrance to the Garden of Remembrance has a nineteenth-century balustrade from Moxhall Hall, Wishaw, Warwickshire, while the piers of the gate support heraldic lions bearing the Lichfield coat of arms.
(on slate panel below figure of St George): REMEMBER WITH THANKSGIVING/ THE MEN OF THIS CITY/WHO IN THEIR/COUNTRY'S HOUR OF NEED/WENT FORTH/ENDURED HARDNESS/FACED DANGER/AND FINALLY/PASSED OUT OF/THE SIGHT OF MEN/BY THE PATH OF SACRIFICE/AND THE GATE OF DEATH./LET ALL WHO COME AFTER/SEE TO IT/THAT THESE DEAD/SHALL NOT HAVE DIED/IN VAIN/THAT THEIR NAME/BE NOT FORGOTTEN/AND WHAT THEY STROVE FOR/PERISH NOT.
(in centre of lower panels): THESE LOWER PANELS/ARE DEDICATE/TO THOSE/ WHO DIED/IN THE CAUSE/OF FREEDOM/DURING/THE WORLD WAR/1939-1945/AND THE/STRUGGLES WHICH/FOLLOWED
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.