James Hulbert, Statue, Fishmongers' Hall Garden
Wigged, frock-coated and caped figure with walking stick. Double axe motifs on cape, which is itself fur edged.
Fishmongers' cartouche o front face pedestal.
Hulbert's lion-headed crossed armorial on rear cartouche.
In Memory of / MR. JAMES HULBERT late / Citizen and Fishmonger / of London Deceased / The worthy Benefactor / Who Recommended (the) care / of building the Almeshouses / in this Square, to /
and M. RICHARD WEST
Members of (the) Said Company/
This Statue was Erected / in the year of Our Lord / 1724
East side (lower right):
Rt. DASTON Fecit
The Wardens of the Wor. / Company of FISHMONGERS / LONDON, pursuant to the Wish / of Mr JAMES HULBERT who / departed this Life in (the) year / of his Primewardenship 1719 / Erected and Endowed the Twenty ALMESHOUSES / in this Square / For Twenty Poor Men & Women /
ROBt. OXWICK Esq. Primewarden
Mr. WILLIAM PROCTOR
Mr. WILLIAM PARROT
Mr. SAMUEL PALMER WARDENS
Mr. SAMUEL WALTERS
Mr. JOHN TOWERS
Anno Dom 1724
On adjacent wall, three plaques, regarding change of site of the statue:
1) Regarding the original placement at St. Peter's Hospital, Newington within the area of the (20) houses built by his mugnificence was removed and re-erected on this spot
Inscribed by order of court 1853 / BENJAMIN SHAW ESQ. / PRIMEWARDEN
2) THIS STATUE OF / JAMES HULBERT / WAS REMOVED FROM / ST. PETER'S HOSPITAL WANDSWORTH / TO / JESUS HOSPITAL BRAY / ON THE CLOSING OF THE FORMER HOSPITAL / 1923
3) THIS STATUE OF / JAMES HULBERT / WAS REMOVED FROM THE GROUND OF THE JESUS HOSPITAL / AND PLACED IN THIS GARDEN / IN MAY 1978
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.