National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Allegorical Figures

Summary

Type Sculpture

     Semi-heraldic relief group on the gable above the main door to Cross House, about 6 metres from the ground. A figure stands on either side of a shield bearing the words 'Cross House'. The left, male, figure holds a long hammer and an anchor can be seen at his feet. On the right, a female figure holds a caduceus.
     Replacing buildings which had dated back to the eighteenth century, Cross House fills a 'difficult triangular site', forming a wedge between Westgate Road and Fenkle Street.(1) It was built using a reinforced concrete system patented by the local firm of Hennebique and Co. and clad in Portland Stone. The relief group on the gable provides a visual focus for the narrow fa├žade: the male figure symbolises industry and maritime links, whilst the caduceus held by a female figure usually signifies 'Hygieia', the goddess of health.(2)
    

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Cackett, Burns Dick (Architects), None Architect

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Whole work White stone 160cm high x 120cm wide

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
TWNE42 NE
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
Structural condition
Vandalism
Road Westgate Road
Precise location Cross House, gable above main door
A-Z ref 60 3B
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1911
Unveiling details Building erected 1911
Commissioned by Not known
Duty of care None
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results