Monument to Alderman Hamond
A bronze bust of Hamond atop a plain stone pedestal.
The bust commemorated Hamond's part in piloting the Town Improvement Act of 1870 through Parliament which gave Newcastle its first public park, Leazes Park. It was stolen c.1990, though the pedestal remains in situ.
Sir Charles Frederick Hamond (1817-1905) was born at Blackheath and came to Newcastle in 1838 as a businessman connected with the Spanish silver lead trade. He was elected a Councillor in 1852 and became a key figure in the public life of the town. Hamond represented Newcastle in Parliament from 1887 to 1900 and from 1892 to 1900 and was knighted in 1896.(1)
Incised on pedestal: ALDERMAN / CHAS FRED HAMOND / JP DL / ERECTED 1ST FEB 1908 / TO / COMMEMORATE / HIS SERVICES / IN OBTAINING / THIS PARK / IN / 1872 / PALMAM QUI MERUIT FERAT
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.