National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Monument to John Candlish

Summary

Type Statue

     A larger than life statue of Candlish in contemporary dress standing on a plainly-dressed pedestal of polished porphyritic granite, situated in well-kept parkland. There are reclining stone lions at the end of the railings on either side, which are also Listed Grade II.
     Shortly after Candlish's death a memorial was proposed 'so as to perpetuate in some suitable form the memory of a man who had done so much for the benefit of the town'. Ideas for scholarships, a school or a convalescent home were abandoned in favour of a statue.(1) £1000 was raised quickly from public subscription. The life-size bronze was described as 'a contribution to modern art [and] an added ornament to [Sunderland's] noble parks . . . A grateful tribute, as lasting as it is appropriate, to the ablest man who ever filled her civic chair'.(2) Upwards of 15,000 people were said to have attended the unveiling, which was extensively covered in the local newspaper. The town was decked out with flags and there was a festive mood as a procession set off to the park at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The memorial was unveiled by Sir Henry Havelock, who made a long and detailed speech in praise of Candlish, followed by the usual formalities in handing it over to the Mayor.
     John Candlish (1816-1874) was born near Bellingham in Northumberland and moved to Ayres Quay in Sunderland as a young lad. He was apprenticed to the drapery industry at 14, subsequently learning French and joining debating classes. After some false starts he went into partnership as editor of the Sunderland Beacon newspaper in 1842. He then started a bottle-making business at Seaham, eventually making his fortune from exports of bottled foods to the colonies. Conservative for the first half of his life, Candlish later converted to Radicalism and Free Trade principles. He was elected as Liberal councillor in 1848, Mayor in 1858, MP in 1866. He freely gave his own money to libraries, hospitals and schools. His funeral in March 1874 was a well attended occasion.

Inscriptions

Incised on front (south) of dado: JOHN CANDLISH M.P. / BORN / 1815 / DIED / 1874

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Bacon, Charles Sculptor
H. Young & Co, None Foundry

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Pedestal Pink Granite 210cm high x 160cm square
Statue Bronze 230cm high

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
TWSU20 NE
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Metallic staining
Structural condition
Vandalism
  • Graffiti
  • Surface damage
Road Burdon Road
Precise location Mowbray Park, north section
A-Z ref 110 1C
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1875
Unveiling details Unveiled 6th October 1875
Commissioned by Public subscription
Duty of care City of Sunderland
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results