National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Chinese Gingall

Summary

Type Other

     A light canon. It was restored and placed on a pedestal in 1995. It had previously been in a slightly less prominent position on a sloping grassed area to one side of Manchester square.
     The Chinese gingall, or canon, was seized in the brief naval action on the night of 17th June 1900 which brought about the capture of the Taku forts guarding the route to Tientsin and Beijing. This was part of the bid by Japan and the European powers to impose one-side, 'open-door' trade agreements and the spread of Christianity on the Chinese. The action did not have entirely the desired result in that it spurred the all-powerful Chinese empress dowager to take advantage of the popular, anti-foreigner Boxer movement and order that all foreigners be killed. The gingall was presented to Bellingham by Commander (later Admiral Sir) Edward Charlton (1865-1937) whose ship, the cruiser Orlando, had taken part in the action.(1) Charlton was the eldest son of Dr Edward Charlton of Hesleyside, Bellingham. He entered the Royal Navy in 1878 and became Commander in 1897.
    

Inscriptions

Attached plaque reads: GINGALL FROM N.W. FORT TAKU CHINA JUNE 17 1900 / PRESENTED TO THE TOWN OF BELLINGHAM / BY COMMANDER E. CHARLETON R.N. H.M.S. ORLANDO / (COMMANDER, LATER ADMIRAL SIR EDWARD CHARLETON KCB KCMG / RETIRED IN 1924 AND DIED IN 1937) / SANS(...) ARIER (...) Attached plaque reads: RENOVATED BY / TED BRACHTVOGEL / 1995.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Not known, None Designer

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Canon Iron and wood 120cm long x 60cm high
Pedestal Stone 100cm high x 170cm long

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
NOTY05 NE
General condition Good
Surface condition
Structural condition
Vandalism
Road Manchester Square
Precise location Rose and Crown pub, exterior
A-Z ref None
OS ref NY839833
Date of design None
Year of unveiling c.1900
Unveiling details Installed c.1900; restored and re-erected 1995
Commissioned by None
Duty of care Bellingham Parish Council
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results