National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Bainbridge Fountain

Summary

Type Fountain

     A cast iron ornamental drinking fountain. The main structure comprises a black self-supporting domed canopy capped by a cream coloured finial and decorated with red-painted crocodiles on its underside. This overhangs the draped figure of a cherub holding an oar and seated on a urn in the centre of a wide brimmed basin atop a fluted pedestal. A twentieth century tap has been fitted to the urn.
     Horse Market TOWN CENTRE Near junction of B6282 and B6276 Bainbridge Fountain Foundry: Geo. Smith Installed 1877 Whole work: cast iron 300cm high x 86cm square Inscribed in raised metal letters on four oval panels: IN COMMEMORATION / OF A / TESTIMONAL TO HIM / AND / MRS. BAINBRIDGE / BY THE EMPLOYEES / OF THE / LONDON LEAD CO. / AND OTHER FRIENDS. / SEPT 28TH 1877 Inscribed in raised metal letters above each arch: ERECTED BY R W BAINBRIDGE ESQ. OF MIDDLETON HOUSE. Status: II Condition: fair Condition details: original tap replaced; paint eroded in parts; rust coloured staining to basin; algae and moss in some areas Commissioned by: Robert Walton Bainbridge Custodian: Middleton-in-Teesdale Parish Council A cast-iron ornamental drinking fountain. The main structure comprises a black self-supporting domed canopy capped by a cream coloured finial and decorated with red-painted crocodiles on its underside. This overhangs the draped figure of a cherub holding an oar and seated on a urn in the centre of a wide brimmed basin atop a fluted pedestal. A twentieth century tap has been fitted to the urn. History: Local guides and tourist brochures for Teesdale cite Bainbridge's fountain as a memorial to the district's lead mining history. Although the industry dates back to the Middle Ages, possibly to Roman times, it was not until the mid-18th century, when the London Lead Company commenced operations in the area, that lead mining became the dominant industry in the area.1 In 1877 employees for the company subscribed to the retirement fund of the Company's Chief Officer, Robert Bainbridge. A total of £262 15s 5d was collected and numerous presents were bought. With the large remainder of money left over Bainbridge commissioned the erection of a drinking fountain to be sited in the town centre.2 Described by Pevsner as 'much in the 1851 taste', 3 it is one of two similar cast iron fountains in the dale, the other being located at Nenthead. With alterations to the lay of the Brough road in the 1970s, the fountain was moved from its original spot to a site several metres away. The parish council now have plans for its complete renovation.4 [1] Teesdale District Council, Teesdale Lead Mining Trail in the North Pennines, Teesdale, 1991; [2] Durham County Council, Walkabout Middleton-in-Teesdale, 1995; [3] Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: County Durham, Harmondsworth, 2nd ed., 1985, p.364; [4] Information provided by Roland Graham, 1999.
    

Inscriptions

In raised metal letters on four oval panels: IN COMMEMORATION / OF A / TESTIMONAL TO HIM / AND / MRS. BAINBRIDGE / BY THE EMPLOYEES / OF THE / LONDON LEAD CO. / AND OTHER FRIENDS. / SEPT 28TH 1877 In raised metal letters above each arch: ERECTED BY R W BAINBRIDGE ESQ. OF MIDDLETON HOUSE.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Geo. Smith, None Foundry

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Whole work Cast iron 300cm high x 86cm square

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
DUAA73 NE
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
  • Metallic staining
  • Biological growth
Structural condition
  • Replaced parts
Vandalism
Road Horse Market
Precise location Near junction of B6282 and B6276
A-Z ref None
OS ref NZ904205
Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1877
Unveiling details Installed 1877
Commissioned by Robert Walton Bainbridge
Duty of care Custodian: Middleton-in-Teesdale Parish Council; owner not known
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results