Alnwick Market Cross
An octagonal flight of steps rises from an octagonal paved area in middle of the Market Place. Set on the base in the centre is an octagonal with worn lead covering. The cross head is panelled and traceried and decorated with four relief shields, two bearing a crescent, two a locket device.
The Market Cross was 'the centre of the commerce of the town' and replaced a roofed building, open at the sides that had been removed in 1701.(1) 'New monarchs were, and are, proclaimed and great events announced' from it and in 1749 it was where John Wesley preached when he visited the town.(2) The cross head dates from when the Cross was restored by the Alnwick architect, Frederick Wilson in the nineteenth century; the rest is probably eighteenth-century.(3)
PMSA recording information