Adamson Memorial Drinking Fountain
An octagonal memorial fountain consisting of a soft white marble spire rising from an octagonal trough. Iron lion-head spouts are located on two sides, whilst two others are missing. The spire is carved with raised lettering BJHA and a faded latin inscription, and is also decorated with dolphins, shell and foliate reliefs, all much worn.
The memorial's installation is mentioned in the 'Monthly Chronicle', with no further information as to its circumstances beyond the details given on the inscription. (1)
Raised black lettering on white marble panel on side of base: ERECTED BY A FEW / FRIENDS IN MEMORY OF / BRYAN JOHN HUTHWAITE / ADAMSON LIEUT. R.N. / COMMANDING H.M.S. WASP / WHICH SAILED FROM SINGA / PORE SEP.10-1887 AND WAS / NEVER HEARD OF AFTER / THE SITE WAS GIVEN FOR / THIS MEMORIAL BY HIS / GRACE THE DUKE OF / NORTHUMBERLAND 1888
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.