Two half life-size female figures situated on towers to each side of the entrance to the amusement arcade. Both are clad in animal pelts and dance wildly: one carries a cymbal, the other a tambourine. Cast in sinuous lines, they have expressive, rubicund expressions.
The sculptures are securely bolted to the tower roof tops but have some flexibility to cope with the sea winds.
Spanish City fairground was founded in 1908 and a dancing hall was added in 1910. The hall took only 82 days to build, being an early use of ferro-concrete,(1) and apparently has the second largest unsupported concrete dome in the country.(2) There have been a number of alterations over the years, including the removal of a roof garden, collonade and domed canopies to the two towers, which the Terpsichorean Figures originally surmounted.(3)
The two dancers allude to delights experienced by attending dances in the hall, and are rather bacchanalian in contrast to the conservative social nature of the Edwardian era.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.