1953 Easington Colliery Disaster Memorial
Two stone and brick screens face one another across a large coal-cutting machine. Each bears a figurative relief and an inscription. The larger screen bears a stone relief of a miner in his work clothes, holding a lamp. Represented in profile the figure is carved to a depth of approximately 2cm. The opposite wall bears the main inscription and two low-reliefs of miners' lamps.
The garden of remembrance was opened three years after the disaster (DUEA45 qv), on 29th May 1953, and is sited above the communal grave of those killed in the disaster. It is thought that the coal-cutting machine, once on display outside the pits, was moved here when Easington Colliery closed in 1994.(3)
Incised on stone panel of smaller screen in Roman letters: THIS TABLET IS ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF / EIGHTY THREE MEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE / EASINGTON COLLIERY DISASTER / TWENTY NINTH MAY NINETEEN HUNDRED & FIFTY ONE / SEVENTY TWO GRAVES ARE IN THIS CEMETERY / THE FOLLOWING NINE MEN ARE BURIED ELSEWHERE (names) / AND ALSO TO THE MEMORY OF TWO BRAVE MEN / JOHN YOUNG WALLACE AND HENRY BURDESS / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN PERFORMANCE OF THEIR DUTIES / AS RESCUE WORKERS AND WHO ARE BUIRED ELSEWHERE.
Incised on panel of main screen: REMEMBER BEFORE GOD THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES IN THE EASINGTON COLLIERY DISASTER IN / MAY NINETEEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE TO WHOM / THIS GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE IS DEDICATED.
PMSA recording information